Gainsborough Trinity 1-1 Warrington Rylands

Oct 16, 2023 | Match Reports

Smith Snatches Late Equaliser

Last season Gainsborough Trinity developed an annoying habit of scoring early goals against Warrington Rylands opening the scoring in the 1st and 3rd minutes of last season’s NPL Premier Division encounters.

This season they held out until the 9th minute, but unlike last season when Gainsborough completed a league double Rylands recovered to snatch a dramatic stoppage time equaliser to extend their unbeaten run of league games to 10 games and maintain their 2nd place on the league ladder.

After a scrappy start in which both sides gave the ball away too easily, Trinity took advantage of a sloppy clearance with Dayle Southwell slipping the ball into the path of Declan Howe who showed great composure to lift the ball over Rylands goalkeeper Luke Pilling to open the scoring.

The home side almost doubled their advantage in the 25th minute when Howe struck an upright from a tight angle having been forced wide by James Butler after he had headed a through ball past Pilling on the edge of the area.

Apart from Trinity’s Javeile Clarke unleashing a shot from 25 yards which whistled past the post, the rest of the first half saw Rylands on the attack with their first attempt at goal coming in the 15th minute from Joe Piggott, while the same player had an acrobatic overhead shot saved by Trinity goalkeeper Luke Jackson.

On the stroke of half time, Adama Sidibeh, who earlier in the half had gone close with an angled drive, got on the end of a Clive Smith cross diverting the ball just wide of the target.

After Howe had dragged a shot wide after a mazy run two minutes after the break, Rylands were back on the attack with Butler having a header from a corner cleared off the line and Matt Regan heading another onto the roof of the net.

On the hour mark, Clarke was first to a loose ball in the Rylands area, his shot was blocked on the line by Smith who also headed away Lewis Butroid’s follow up.

The home side were reduced to ten men in the 65th minute when George Hornshaw received his second yellow card of the game after taking too long over a throw in.

Rylands were making the most of their man advantage, Ben Hough nudged a Smith cross inches wide, Jackson produced good saves to deny Ben Hardcastle and Sidibeh, while Touray side footed wide of the post from close range.

Referee England levelled the numbers in the 77th minute dismissing Hough for a foul on Howe.

After having a couple of strong penalty appeals turned down Rylands conceded a penalty in the 83rd minute when Clarke took a tumble in a goalmouth scramble. Pilling dived low to his right to save Bobby Johnson’s spot kick.

With seven minutes added time to play, Rylands who have developed a habit of scoring late goals this season launched a high ball into the Trinity area, Smith’s first time shot was deflected by a desperate defender onto the bar, two follow up attempts were blocked on the line before Smith drilled the ball through a packed six yard box for the 95th minute equaliser and a well deserved point.

GAINSBOROUGH TRINITY: Jackson Hornshaw Jackson Conway Douglas Cogill Butroid Johnson Southwell Howe Clarke; SUBS: Holvey Wallace Poulter Lovick Moore-Billam

WARRINGTON RYLANDS – Pilling, Smith, Swaby-Neavin, Butler,Regan, Furman, Thiam (Bakkor), Hough, Sidibeh, Piggott (Touray), Hardcastle (Baillie). Subs not used Wilson, Kyffin.

Attendance 472
Referee D England