FC United 0-4 Warrington Rylands FC

Sep 18, 2023 | Club News, Match Reports

Historic victory as Rylands cruise through to the next round of FA Cup

WARRINGTON Rylands reached the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round for the first time in their 117 year history convincingly beating FC United of Manchester 0-4.

Having won all five of their previous home games at Broadhurst Park, United enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges with Jay Fitznartin and Dontai Gabidon firing shots at Rylands goal.
Settling down after a scratchy start, Rylands started to come more into the game as Mo Touray and Adama Sidibeh both had shots blocked.

In an open game play was switching from end to end as Guy Hall shot wide of the Rylands goal and former Blue Elliot Morris tested Luke Pilling with a shot from distance, while Sidibeh curled a shot wide of United’s goal and their goalkeeper, Pat Boyes, saved well to tip a Touray shot over the bar.

Sidibeh opened the scoring in the 31st minute with a clever cushioned header near post header, from a Clive smith cross that looped over Boyes into the far corner of the net.

Without really causing too many problems United finished the second half on top with Morris directing a header wide and Gabidon lifting the ball over the bar from close range.

The second half started with Fitzmartin and Morris shooting over the Rylands bar but the Blues quickly regained control. Boyes pulled off a good save to keep out a James Butler shot from point blank range after the centre half had been found unmarked at the far post from a corner.

Rylands doubled their advantage in the 63rd minute. Sidibeh picked up the ball in the centre circle, raced forward holding off several challenges to thump a shot against an upright. Reacting quickest Sidibeh turns the rebound back across goal into the six yard box where despite having slipped over Touray tucks the ball into an empty net.

Any hopes the home side had of staging a comeback were dashed three minutes later, Touray slipped the ball in behind the United defence for captain James Neild to finished clinically from close range.

Rylands dominated the closing stages with goalkeeper Pilling only being called on to catch some hopeful crosses played into his box while James Baillie had a shot defeclted wide Sidibeh drew a good save Boyes, although the United keeper was unable to prevent Ben Hough from scoring Rylands 4th goal in the 87th minute.

From inside his own half Butler launched a free kick over the United defence into the path of Scott Bakkor, from out on the right flank he delivered a cross into the United box which his fellow substitute turned home from close range.

FC UNITED – Boyes, Thiam, Hall, Griffiths (Barugh), Oliver, Jones, Morris, McLoughlin, Cane (Bollado), Fitzmartin, Gabidon (Ennis). Subs not used Marshall, Donohue, Munro, Palinkas.

RYLANDS – Pilling, Smith, Swaby-Neavin, Butler, Wilson, Furman (Kyffin), Hardcastle, Neild, Sidibeh (Bakkor), Touray (Hough), Baillie. Subs not used Hough, Regan, Maieco.

Attendance: 1046